23 August 2012

Friday ...

We woke up bright and early, 3am to be exact, to make the track to Haleakala volcanic crater. The road winded back and forth up to 10,000 feet above the clouds. I'm glad we bundled up and brought a blanket from the room. It was freezing! We made it just in time, within ten minutes the sun rises above the clouds. It was absolutely amazing. They call it the house of the sun. The legend has it that Haleakalā was home to the grandmother of the demigod Maui. His grandmother helped him capture the sun and force it to slow its journey across the sky in order to lengthen the day.

 




Once we got back to our condo, we got ready for the day. Justin and I headed out to do a semi-submarine ride. Half the boat is above the water then the other half is below and lined with windows. They put two divers in the water and brought things they found to the surface. We had one sea turtle make an appearance with a whole bunch of pretty fish and coral.

The harbor was right by front street and they were having a farmers/arts and craft market in the square. We did a little shopping, but then Justin got pooped on by a bird. It caused a good laugh and I reminded him it was considered good luck.

We then changed and headed to the beach to do some more snorkeling. We went to a different cove where the water was smoother. I made a friend with a pufferfish that followed me around. I couldn't believe how many fish were swimming around and how close they were. They did freak me out a bit with my phobia of fish and all. Justin swam with me and held my hand, so it wasn't so bad. there was one sting ray swimming around that was 4 feet long. Right when I got out a 5 foot sea turtle came right up the shallow area. to say hello. I wish we would of gotten some pictures, but we ran out of room on our underwater camera.

We had dinner at this cute pizza place right smack on the beach. Their lobster pizza was to die for. We had one of the prettiest sunsets that night.